Francis H. Fitzpatrick
From Walter Van Brunt’s Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota Vols. 1 – 3. The American Historical Society. Chicago: 1922. Available at the Duluth Public Library.
Before coming to Duluth to practice architecture Francis H. Fitzpatrick had the benefit of study and training under the greatest masters of the art in Scotland and England and also with several prominent firms in America.
Mr. Fitzpatrick was born in Scotland May 28, 1880. He was liberally educated and holds diplomas and other certificates of proficiency from the Royal Institute of British Architects, the London Institute of Technology and the Technical Schools of South Kensington, London. He came alone to the United States in 1907, and for a time was employed as an architectural engineer at Martin’s Ferry, Ohio. He was an architect’s assistant to the firm of Janssen & Abbot at Pittsburgh, and similarly was engaged at Chicago with Shepley, Rutan & Collidge, and also with two foremost Chicago architects, Jarvis Hunt and D. I. Burnham & Company.
In 1913 he came to Duluth and a year later opened an office for himself in the Alworth Building.
Mr. Fitzpatrick is associate architect of such notable homes as those of J. G. Williams, G. F. French, C. H. Bagley, M. F. Fay, G. H. Spencer, 929W. C. Agnew, and architect for P. H. Ginder, D. Holmes, Mrs. Norman McDonald, C. H. Marshall at Pike Lake, H. N. Williams, Simon Clark, etc. His work in commercial architecture is represented by the First National Bank at Nashwauk, the Northwestern Textile Factory, the United Display Company’s Factory, the People’s State Bank of Duluth, the F. A. Patrick warehouse and store, the D. & I. R. Railway office building at Two Harbors, the Duluth Edison Electric Company’s sub-station of West Duluth, etc.
Mr. Fitzpatrick is affiliated with Ionic Lodge of Masons, is a member of the American Institute of Architects and the Royal Institute of British Architects, the Duluth Engineers Club, Duluth Commercial Club, Duluth Architects Association, Kiwanis Club and attends the First Presbyterian Church.
From Intensive Survey of Historic Resources in Duluth’s East End (Part 1), prepared by Jill Larson of Larson & Associates for the Duluth Heritage Preservation Commission, August 2007. The entire document is on file at the Duluth Public Library.
Little is known about architect Francis Fitzpatrick other than what appeared in his 1965 obituary:
Architect Fitzpatrick Dies at 85.
Francis H. Fitzpatrick, 85, a veteran Duluth architect and designer of the Ridgeview Golf Club, died Wednesday in a Duluth nursing home. Mr. Fitzpatrick, of 2318 Roslyn Avenue, had been a resident of Duluth for 52 years. A native of Scotland he was educated at the university of Edinburgh Art School. He was the holder of a degree from the Royal Institute of British Architects. He was a member and past president of the Duluth Architect’s Association, a member of the Minnesota Federation of Architects, Engineers and land Surveyors, Glen Avon Presbyterian, Glen Avon Masonic Lodge and Duluth Chamber of Commerce. In the years before the high bridge was built, he was a leading exponent of the plan to link Duluth and Superior by tunnel.
Fitzpatrick is known to have designed only one house in the East End. However, the English/Tudor Revival style house he created fits in beautifully with the neighborhood without being a mere copy of other English houses found there.
The following was compiled by Maryanne C. Norton; content copyright © 2012 by Zenith City Online
Duluth Buildings designed by Oliver Traphagen & Francis Fitzpatrick, 1890 – 1896
Phoenix Block | 333 W. Superior | 1890 | burned 1995
Fitger Brewery Boiler House | 600 E. Superior St. | 1890 | extant
A W. Wieland Store° | 123 W. Superior St. | 1890 | extant
Hoppmann Building | 421 W. Superior St. | 1890 | razed 1966
Lester Park Hotel | 6003 London Rd | 1890 | razed 1902
Costello Block (second) | 22 E. Superior St. | 1891 | razed 2007
Lyceum Theater | 423-431 W. Superior St. | 1891 | razed 1966
First Presbyterian Church | 300 E. 2nd St. | 1891 | extant
Incline Pavilion | 5th Ave. W. & Skyline Pkwy | 1891 | burned 1901
Duluth Shoe Co./Duluth Dry Goods Co. | Foot of 6th Ave. W. | 1891 | burned 1899
Selleck Block | 631 W. Michigan St. | 1891 | razed ca. 1905
Charlotte Wells Store | 913-915 W. Michigan St. | 1891 | razed ca. 1938
Hardy Hall | 2000 Woodland Avenue | 1891 | razed 1902
Torrey Building | 314-316 W. Superior St. | 1892 | extant
Boyle Brothers Saloon & Restaurant | 319 W. Superior St. | 1892 | extant
Duluth Street Railway Co. Barn | 2601-2619 W. Superior St. | 1892 | razed 1984
Duluth Driving Park | Woodland between Wabasha & Winona | 1892 | razed ca. 1907
Herald Building | 220 W. Superior St. | 1893 | extant
Mesaba Block | 407-409 W. Superior St. | 1893 | razed ca. 1965
Stone-Ordean Warehouse | 203-211 S. 5th Ave. W. | 1893 | razed 1966
St. Louis Hotel (second) | 318-324 W. Superior St. | 1893 | razed 1932
Sagar Drug | 225-227 S. 5th Ave. W. | 1893 | razed 1966
Crane Ordway Building | 8-10 E. Michigan St. | 1894 | razed ca. 1980
Board of Trade Building (second) | 301 W. First Street | 1895 | extant
Fitger’s Brewery Settling Room | 600 E. Superior St. | 1896 | extant
Philadelphia Terrace (townhouses) | 1412-20 E. Superior St. | 1890 | razed ca.1984
Chester Terrace (townhouses) | 1212-1228 E. First St. | 1890 | extant
Clinton & Kate Markell House | 325 E. 2nd St. | 1890 | razed 1961
Alonzo & Julia Whiteman House | 2732 London Rd | 1890 | razed ca. 1912
James Norton Rental House | 1120 E. First St. | 1891 | razed 2011
James Norton Rental House | 1124 E. First St. | 1891 | razed 2011
Alexander Miles Rental House | 301 W. 4th St. | 1891 | extant
Alexander Miles Rental House | 303 W. 4th St. | 1891 | extant
Alexander Miles Rental House | 305 W. 4th St. | 1891 | extant
Alexander Miles Rental House | 307 W. 4th St. | 1891 | extant
Alexander Miles Rental House | 309 W. 4th St. | 1891 | razed ca. 1980
Alexander Miles Rental House | 311 W. 4th St. | 1891 | extant
Unnamed Residence | 1001 E. Superior St. | 1891 | razed
Henry & Lizzie Blume House | 1419 E. 2nd St. | 1891 | extant
Myron & Mary Bunnell House | 1306 E. Superior St. | 1892 | razed ca. 1960
William & Josephine Magie House | 1401 E. Superior St. | 1892 | extant
Oliver & Amelia Traphagen House | 1511 E. Superior St. | 1892 | extant
Munger Terrace (townhouses) | 405 Mesaba Ave. (orig. 411-413 Mesaba) | 1892 | extant
Townsend & Mayme Hoopes House | 2206 Woodland Ave. | 1892 | razed 1938
William & Amelia Sherwood House | 2535 Woodland Ave. | 1892 | razed ca. 1956
Charles & Maude Towne House | 2334 Woodland Ave. | 1892 | extant
Hamilton & Martha Peyton House | 1329 E. Superior St. | 1893 | razed 1932
Charles & Louise Schiller House | 1420 E. 2nd St. | 1893 | extant
George & Jessica Spencer House | 302 Sixteenth Ave. E. | 1893 | extant |
Elmer & Lizzie Matter House | 314 E. 2nd St. | 1894 | razed, (date unk.)
°Remodeled by other architects; original work not recognizable
Non-Duluth Buildings designed by Oliver Traphagen & Francis Fitzpatrick, 1890 – 1896
Tuohy Mercantile | 1515 N. First St., Superior, WI | 1895 | extant
P.R. L. Hardenbergh & Co. Building | 25-239 E. Eight St., St. Paul, MN | 1895 | razed by 1989