Peter Grignon, Jr., is the successor to his uncle, Napoleon Grignon, who came to Duluth in 1878 from Canada and built the first floating dry dock and was engaged in the ship building, tugs, dredges and general harbor work until March 1, 1907, when he disposed of the business to our subject, who has since continued as a shipbuilder and contractor.
Mr. Peter Grignon was born in Montreal, Canada, on October 30, 1873, the son of Peter and Marie (Stuart) Grignon, who were both natives of Canada and came to Duluth, Minn., in the year 1881. Mr. Grignon, Sr., also follows the occupation of shipbuilding and engaged in that business when he first came to Duluth. Peter was educated in the public schools of Duluth and at the age of sixteen years he decided to enter into apprenticeship with Napoleon Grignon, and his natural aptitude for the business soon warranted him a fine position, which he held continuously until 1907, when he purchased his present business from his uncle. Mr. Grignon is also interested in the Marine Iron Company, of Duluth, established in 1903, of which he is the president and manager, and his father, Peter Grignon, Sr., is vice-president. Mr. William H. Nicholson is the secretary and treasurer.
Mr. Grignon was united in marriage to Miss Amanda St. George, of Duluth, in 1898. Seven children have been born to them, viz., Napoleon, Parmilia, Alice, Clara, Leona, Doris and Marcel. Mr. and Mrs. Grignon are members of the Church of St. Jean the Baptist, and Mr. Grignon belongs to the Order of Modern Samaritans, Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters, president of the French Nafurylesation Club and member of the St. Jean the Baptist Society. He is a man of sterling character, exemplary in his life and a leading spirit in matters that come within the scope of his influence. He is in full accord with the requirements of his work as well as prepared for it, and gives rich promise of a successful and useful career.