Henry F. Salyards

Henry F. Salyards, who has been a resident of Duluth for nearly three decades, is connected with some of the most important enterprises of the city. At present he is president of the Duluth Board of Trade and is one of the heavy grain operators of this region. He was born at Liberty, Missouri, July 10, 1869, a son of Richard G. Salyards. The latter was a resident of Missouri during the reconstruction period following the close of the war between the North and the South, but later was a newspaper man of southern Illinois. He was married to Miss Helen Baker, and they became the parents of four children. For several generations the Salyards have been connected with the newspaper business in Ohio and Kentucky, and from the latter state Richard G. Salyards went into Missouri and Illinois.

Henry F. Salyards completed his educational training at a high school.

Going to Chicago, he obtained a clerical position with a pig lead firm, and later went into northern Dakota and Montana and engaged in cattle and sheep ranching, but terminated those connections in 1893 and, coming to Duluth, embarked in a grain commission business with Governor Eli C. D. Shortridge, the first Republican governor of North Dakota. This association continued until the death of Governor Shortridge, after which Mr. Salyards continued alone. In 1920 he was honored by his associates on the Board of Trade by election to the office of its chief executive, and he is still serving as such. He is also a director of the First National Bank, and is otherwise prominent in public matters. The Baptist Church has in him an earnest and generous member. In politics he has always been a strong Democrat. Prominent as a Mason, he has been raised to the Commandery, and also belongs to the Mystic Shrine.

On October 10, 1890, Mr. Salyards was married to Miss Mary Ely, of Center, Missouri, and they have three children, Ely, Myra and Patricia.

Ely Salyards was a first lieutenant of Battery A, Three Hundred and Seventh Division, Field Artillery, and served for twenty months in the late war in France. He was honorably discharged after the signing of the Armistice, returned to Duluth, and is now in the grain commission business with his father. Many of the present improvements of Duluth have been advocated by Mr. Salyards, and stands as the result of the wise and indefatigable zeal of him and his associates for bettering their community.

The years he has spent at Duluth have been of incalculable importance in the city, and he has kept abreast of the advancement, and at the same time has widened his own knowledge and developed his capabilities.

Sources:

  • Van Brunt, Walter, ed. Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota Vols. 1 – 3. The American Historical Society. Chicago: 1922.