During the three years that it has been in existence, the Mills Transfer Storage Company has enjoyed a wholesome and consistent growth, its success evidencing the value of its business policy as outlined in its slogan, “The acme in service at the most reasonable rates.” The founder of this Duluth industry, F. S. Mills. has enterprisingly forged his way to a position of recognized substantiality in his field of endeavor. He was born July 8. 1874, in Bigstone county, Minnesota, a son of Albert Mills, a native of New York.
F. S. Mills, the eldest in a family of four children, was educated in the public schools of Ortonville, Minnesota, and spent the early part of his life in agricultural pursuits, becoming the owner of a valuable farm, which he later sold. He had varied experiences in commercial enterprises prior to coming to Duluth in 1917, at which time he became identified with the Bridgman-Russell Company. Not long after his arrival he founded the Mills Transfer Storage Company, associating with him his son, E. C. Mills, who graduated in the class of 1917 from the University of Minnesota. Since that time another son, A. W. Mills, has been admitted to partnership. At this time the company’s transfer headquarters are located at 213 Fourth avenue, West. This concern does all kinds of draying, moving, freight baggage packing and shipping, and makes a specialty of moving furniture, for which purpose it has three of the largest van motor cars in the city. The company receives its full share of patronage and its customers are daily growing in volume.
It has been the aim and policy of the company to serve each and everyone of its customers to the best of its ability, believing that a satisfied patron is its best advertisement. The furniture equipment of the Mills concern is of the best, and its furniture craters and packers are among the most efficient to be found at the Head of the Lakes. In the transfer line daily deliveries are made to and from Duluth, Superior, West Duluth, Riverside, Smithville, Morgan Park, Gary and New Duluth.
Mr. Mills has built up this business solely through his ability, progressiveness and foresight, and in rearing his structure of business, success has gained and held the confidence of those with whom he has been associated and those with whom he has come into contact. He has several important civic and club connections and takes an interested part in the active city life going on about him. In 1895 Mr. Mills married, and he and Mrs. Mills are the parents of six children.