Charles Harold Munger

Charles Harold Munger was born April 10, 1856 in Akron, Ohio but, like many other men in mining, came to Duluth by way of Michigan.  At age 18 he went to work for the Atlantic & Great Western Railway where he remained until taking a position with Tuttle, Masters & Co. of Cleveland, an iron firm, in 1881.  By 1884 Munger had moved to the Marquette range in Michigan to begin his mining career in earnest.  He was promoted to the position of chief clerk for the Metropolitan Iron & Land Co. at Ironwood in 1886 after having worked at the Beaufort and Titan mines and then was named superintendent of the Odanah mine at Hurley, Michigan.  Within ten years Munger went to Hibbing to open what became the Sellers mine, serving as its first superintendent.  In the fall of 1895 he returned to Ironwood as superintendent of the Norrie mines and next took charge of the Sparta mine at Gilbert, Minnesota.  He became general manager of mines in the Lake Superior district for Pickands, Mather & Co. in 1901, and continued to serve in that position until his retirement in about 1929. Munger and his wife Helen (Fuller) built their home at 2330 East First Street  in 1903, but they moved to Cleveland, Ohio in 1921.  When they returned in the early 1930s they lived at 3901 Greysolon Road, where he died at 83 years of age.


Charles H. Munger, general manager of the iron mining department of the firm of Pickands, Mather & Co., of Cleveland, Ohio, with offices in the Lonsdale building, Duluth, Minn., has been connected with the above named firm since 1899. He was born in Akron, Ohio, April 10, 1856, and moved to Cleveland in 1871, where he attended the public schools. At the age of eighteen he obtained employment in the freight office of the Atlantic and Great Western Railway Company, now a part of the Erie system, and remained there until 1881. He then took a position with the iron ore firm of Tuttle, Masters & Co., where he remained for three years, and in April, 1884, moved to the Marquette range of the Lake Superior iron district.

Here he began, at the Beaufort mine, the business of mining, which he has since followed, having lived on the Gogebic and Mesaba ranges and two years in Colorado before coming to Duluth.


  • Larson, Jill. Intensive Survey of Historic Resources in Duluth’s East End (Part 1). City of Duluth, Duluth Heritage Preservation Commission, Duluth, Minn.: August 2007.
  • Woodbridge, Dwight and John Pardee, eds. History of Duluth and St. Louis County Past and Present Vols. 1 – 2. C. F. Cooper & Company, Chicago: 1922.
  • Menu