P. G. Phillips, who is commissioner of the city government, being in charge of public utilities, is one of the best qualified men that might be found for that responsible post. Mr. Phillips has lived for many years in Duluth, was an alderman before the commission form of government was adopted, is a thorough business man, and has a vast and intricate knowledge of city affairs.
He was born in Swansea, Wales, September 24, 1870, and was only an infant when brought to America by his parents in 1871. His father, William Phillips, lived for a time at Connelsville, Pennsylvania, where he followed his trade as a brass moulder. He continued in the same line of business at Marshalltown, Iowa, where he lived until his death in 1896.
P. G. Phillips was the third in a family of six children. He acquired his early education in the public schools of Marshalltown, Iowa, and as a youth served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith’s trade. That trade was his regular occupation from 1890 to 1910. In the latter year he became manager of a general co-operative store at West Duluth, and handled the affairs of that business very successfully until February, 1917.
Mr. Phillips was first elected an alderman, representing the Eighth Ward in the city of Duluth in 1912. He was in that office a year and a half before the commission form of government was adopted. In 1917 he was chosen commissioner of the Board of Public Utilities, and since then has spent practically all his time with the affairs of his office. Mr. Phillips is an able speaker, has a great amount of information on everything connected with the government of Duluth, and is well qualified in a literary way and has frequently discussed subjects of current interest in the local press, especially through the columns of the Duluth Herald.
Mr. Phillips is a member of several of the leading fraternal orders.
He is unmarried.