George P. Tweed

George P. Tweed was a civic and business leader and was widely known in financial and mining circles, not only in Duluth but of the state and nation as well.  Realizing the enormous potential of the iron range, Mr. Tweed formed a partnership with Albert Coates and together they explored and developed more than 20 iron mines, one of which was the famous Plymouth mine at Wakefield, Michigan. He later became involved in banking and many other civic and business enterprises.  He was highly esteemed by his peers.  Later in life his interest turned toward the arts. He acquired one of the finest collections of paintings in the Northwest for the private gallery in his home.  He supported the Duluth Symphony Association, and with Mrs. Tweed donated Tweed Hall to Duluth State Teachers College enabling it to improve its standards in the arts.


George P. Tweed for twenty years or more has been one of the prominent men directing and supporting the organized business of exploring and producing iron ore in the iron ranges of northern Minnesota and Michigan. In this connection he has also handled a general real estate business, and has been a resident of and identified with Duluth affairs for more than thirty years.

Mr. Tweed was born at Warsaw in Goodhue County, Minnesota, April 19, 1871, son of Evan J. and Anna (Hulback) Tweed. His father, a native of Norway, came to America in 1856, when a child, was reared in Dane County, Wisconsin, and a few years later moved to Goodhue County, Minnesota, where he was in the general merchandise business until about 1876. Following that he was in business at Montevideo, Minnesota, and in 1887 came to Duluth and for many years was one of the city’s leading merchants and only retired from commercial life a short time before his death, which occurred in 1916. He had all the qualities of a good citizen, possessed thorough business ability, was interested in local affairs and enjoyed the esteem and respect of a very large circle.

George P. Tweed, oldest in a family of eleven children, came to Duluth when about sixteen years of age. He acquired a public school education, and while attending school and for about three months after finishing his education was employed as a newspaper reporter with the Duluth Herald and the Duluth Daily News. At the age of eighteen, after leaving school, he entered the real estate and loan business, and as a broker and handler of real estate properties he operated alone until about 1900.

In that year Mr. Tweed became associated in the iron ore business with Mr. Coates and Mr. Miller. Mr. Miller withdrew from the organization in 1908, and since then Mr. Coates and Mr. Tweed have had a constructive partnership, and their efforts primarily have been devoted to exploring for iron ore. They have been interested in the exploration of probably twenty iron mines, and out of their long experience have special qualifications and facilities for managing iron exploration and iron mining.

Mr. Tweed is a member of the Kitchi Gammi Club. the Northland Country Club, the Commercial Club, the Gogebic Country Club of Ironwood, Michigan, and votes as a Republican. In 1908 he married Miss Alice Lyon, daughter of George H. Lyon of Faribault, Minnesota.

Mrs. Tweed is a woman of accomplishments both in her home and outside, deeply interested in church affairs. Their family consists of one adopted daughter.


  • Larson, Jill. Intensive Survey of Historic Resources in Duluth’s East End (Part 1). City of Duluth, Duluth Heritage Preservation Commission, Duluth, Minn.: August 2007.
  • Van Brunt, Walter, ed. Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota Vols. 1 – 3. The American Historical Society. Chicago: 1922.
  • Menu