Frank H. Wade has been a resident of Duluth, Minn., twenty years and has been active in the mercantile life of the city during most of that time. He is a native of Illinois and was born at Griggsville, March 7, 1874, and is a son of Hampton and Alice Wade, both natives of Illinois. Frank H. lived in his native place till he was fifteen years old and acquired his education in the public schools there.
In 1889 he took up his residence in Duluth and during the next six years was employed by the Burrell & Little Company and other mercantile firms. He then engaged in business for himself as junior member of the firm of Wieland & Wade, which later changed to Schell & Wade, and built up a thriving hardware trade, and in 1902 erected the building in which the business is now carried on. It is a substantial structure, 50×125 feet in dimensions, two stories in height, and is located at Nos. 329- 331 North Central avenue, and is the largest hardware store in West Duluth. In 1905 Mr. Wade purchased his partner’s interest in the business and during the last four years has been its sole proprietor. Besides dealing in a general line of hardware Mr. Wade makes a specialty of selling the Doman and Capitol marine engines.
Mr. Wade is not only a thorough and energetic business man, but is also active in civic and social affairs. He is a director of the Western State Bank of Duluth and is identified with the Commercial Club of Duluth, and holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He also belongs to the Duluth Boat Club and is president of the Duluth Curling Club, in which he finds enjoyable recreation.
In 1894 Mr. Wade married Miss Susan Dial, of Aurora, Ill., and they have one child, Richard Franklin.