Albert & Louise Ordean House

Ordean House. (Image: Duluth Preservation Alliance.)
2307 East Superior Street | Architects: Emmet Palmer & William Hunt | Built: 1906 | Extant

While the original deep red of its brick exterior has faded over the years, this house remains as a fine example of a Georgian Colonial Revival style. Albert Ordean was a prominent Duluth pioneer: founder of two Duluth banks, organizer of Stone-Ordean-Wells wholesale grocer, and director of the Great Northern Railroad. In 1927 Ordean purchased land from Northland Country Club and gave it to Duluth; the property was home to Ordean Middle School until 2009.