220 East Superior Street | Architect: William A. Hunt | Built: 1910 | Extant
(Zeitgeist Arts Café; formerly John’s Red Lion and Jack’s Cafe)
This is a two-story building with a primary façade constructed of white glazed brick, with common brick sidewalls. Black Cararra glass panels were affixed to the façade at the first floor in 1953, and the original windows were replaced with single aluminum framed fixed unit. Two new wood doors were added at the primary and secondary entries, the main door bearing a painted design. Cararra glass also fills the entire spandrel panel below the second floor windows, incorporating thin trapezoidal pieces of white glass to create two narrow bands of alternating black and white. Two small vertical metal signs with neon lettering are attached to the face of the spandrel at either end.
A string course of white terra cotta sits between the spandrel and a continuous frieze of white terra cotta with a running wave pattern, which in turn functions as the sill for the four window openings of the second floor. Painted plywood sheeting covers every window opening, making it impossible to determine the condition or appearance of the window units. White glazed bricks with rounded corners serve as the brick mold for all of the opening, and a row of rowlocks with a rounded edge form the window heads. An elaborate cast metal cornice with a small row of dentils below a larger row of brackets is attached to the face brick at the top of the second floor. Only a small band of glazed brick parapet is visible above the cornice, and it is capped by a metal coping.