Address: 320 East Superior Street | Architect: Unknown | Built: 1881 | Extant (vacant)
One of the oldest surviving buildings in the commercial area of downtown Duluth, 320 Superior Street is the last remaining wood frame commercial building on Superior Street dating from the heyday of rapid physical and economic expansion in the later nineteenth century. Originally constructed as the Buffalo Saloon by the Fitger Brewing Company, this two-story wood frame structure sits on a rectangular lot with its primary façade facing north onto Superior Street. Demolition of the adjacent structures to the east has left the east façade exposed to view from the street. The original configuration and appearance of the exterior is difficult to determine due to the application of vinyl siding at an unknown date, the insertion of new fixed and sliding aluminum frame windows at both the first and second floors on the north and east facades, and the addition of two new glazed metal doors on the north façade. Only the flat projecting parapet and seven small decorative wooden scroll brackets at the cornice suggest the original appearance of the building.