319 East Superior Street | Architect: Anthony Puck | Built: 1910 | Extant
This is a two-story variegated orange brick building with a long, narrow rectangular footprint and common brick sidewalls. The façade and interior were modified in 1982 as part of a remodeling that converted the use to a restaurant. Two simple brick piers with red sandstone blocks frame a large new aluminum storefront assembly with false divided lights and transoms. The bulkhead appears to be new construction in a brick that roughly matches the original. New signage and a wood paneled cornice with gooseneck lighting separate the first and second floor. Three columns of large, tightly spaced brick quoins divide the second floor into two bays, with each bay holding a new pair of aluminum frame, single hung 1/1 windows with false divided light transoms. The windows rest on small, simple red sandstone sill, while the heads are formed from massive flat-faced red sandstone blocks. A series of two-brick steps are surmounted by a broad, flat brick fascia and a dentil wooden projecting cornice. A low brick parapet is divided into two bays by projecting brick piers, and the whole is capped by a cast stone coping. A large two-story deck was added to the east facade in 2004, following the demolition of the adjacent historic building.