101 East 3rd Street | Architect: Oliver G. Traphagen | Built: 1889 | Extant
Just above and across the street from Old Central High School (or directly true north) sits Engine House #1, the ironically named third firehouse in Duluth. The first, a wooden building near Minnesota Point, burned to the ground while responding to its first fire call: the steam engine set the firehouse ablaze. The second, run by volunteers, remains at 22 East 2nd Street, but most of its decorative features are gone. Built in 1889, the stone and brick Engine House #1 was once crowned with an impressive bell tower; the tower was removed in 1910 and the firehouse closed in 1918. It is now used as a maintenance garage by the city school district.