Jefferson Elementary

Jefferson Elementary. (Image: Duluth Public Library)
916 East 3rd Street | Architect: McMillen & Radcliffe | Built: 1890 | Extant

When Jefferson School first opened its doors in 1893, it was called “undoubtedly one of the finest ward school structures in the country.” The Neo-Classical Colonial structure cost $84,000 and boasted toilets (or “water closets” at the time) with “automatic flush.” After closing in the mid-1980s, the school was converted into the Jefferson Square Apartments (many boasting lake views); it also houses the Jefferson Children’s Center.

Sources:

  • Dierckins, Tony and Kerry Elliott. True North: Alternative and Off-Beat Destinations in and Around Duluth, Superior, and the Shores of Lake Superior. Zenith City Press, Duluth, Minnesota: 2003.