118 East Superior Street | Architect: Unknown | Built: 1911 | Extant (Access North)
This two-story limestone Neo-Classical Revival building with a rectangular footprint originally was constructed as a restaurant and converted to a beer garden in 1941. The sidewall exposed on the west façade was parged with a stucco-like material at an unknown date. The first floor was radically altered from its original appearance at an unknown date through the addition of new wood frame fixed windows and a leaded fan light, a new single light wood door, new stucco panels, cast details and facing over the original limestone, and new polished granite bulkheads. A large signboard is attached at the top of the first floor reading “Lake Place Building.” The second floor remains intact, and is delineated by a projecting limestone string course that forms the sill for the four window bays on that floor. Each bay holds a 1/1 wood frame double hung window which is framed on either side by a vertical limestone panel with a lesbian leaf motif at the perimeter. A similar horizontal panel makes up the continuous head for the four windows, flanked at either end by a square inset detail composed of green glazed 1 x 1 ceramic tiles in a carved lesbian leaf border. A projecting limestone cornice is supported by five large limestone brackets interspersed with four raised stone panels. A low stone parapet with a limestone coping sits above the cornice and is framed at each end by tall, oval shield decorations with a laurel garland wrapping the upper half and pendant floral decorations suspended below. The parapet coping steps up and curves into a half-ellipse to accommodate the shield elements.