St. Paul’s Episcopal (1913)
From True North: Alternative and Off-Beat Destinations in and Around Duluth, Superior, and the Shores of Lake Superior, copyright © 2003, Zenith City Press, Duluth, Minnesota.
1710 East Superior Street
Architect: Bertram Goodhue
Built: 1913 | Extant
In 1913 the congregation at the first church built in Duluth — an 1869 Episcopalian structure located on the northwest corner of Lake Avenue and 2nd Street — chipped in to build a new one. Bertram Goodhue designed the church in the English Gothic style, very like an English country parish church. The original church was often called “Jay Cooke’s Church” because the financier made a major contribution to its construction expenses.