16 South 18th Avenue East | Architect: William A. Hunt | Built: 1902 | Extant
In 1865 miner Joseph Sellwood set out from his home in Cornwall, England, for the copper mines in northern Michigan. After finding great success in various mining partnerships, he moved to Duluth and built three homes at the corner of 18th Avenue East and Superior Street, one for himself and two as wedding presents for his daughters. His daughter Othelia and her husband Leslie Leithhead — president of Leithead Drug Company — received the house on the southeast corner. The house is a fine example of Romanesque Revival architecture, featuring towers and castle-like walls made of brownstone, that Captain Sellwood paid just $15,000 to build. The house across the avenue at 1730 East Superior Street was Sellwood’s wedding gift for his daughter Larue and her husband Charles Mershan.