From Zenith: A Postcard Perspective of Historic Duluth, copyright © 2005, Zenith City Press, Duluth, Minnesota. Image: X-Comm.
505 W. Michigan Street
Architects: Peabody & Stearns
Built: 1892 | Extant
Designed by Boston architects Robert Swain Peabody and John Goddard Stearns to resemble a French Norman chateau on a grand scale, Duluth’s Union Depot—including track, a roundhouse, and a shed system—was built in 1892 for a cost of $615,000. At one point, it serviced over sixty trains a day from the St. Paul & Duluth, Northern Pacific, and other railways. In 1910, trains from seven railroads carried five thousand people to and from the Depot each day. It closed as a railroad depot in 1969 and is now home to the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center, which houses museums, offices, the St. Louis County Historical Society, a theater, and studio space for five performing arts organizations including the Duluth Children’s Museum, the Duluth Art Institute, the Minnesota Ballet, and the Duluth Playhouse. It also houses the Lake Superior Railroad Museum, which operates the North Shore Scenic Railway. The train shed behind the Depot was razed in 1924.