Located at Twenty-ninth avenue west and Michigan street is the plant of the Clyde Iron Works. It covers a field of about ten acres, and consists of nine brick and steel buildings. Having been constructed within the last two years and entirely equipped with modern labor-saving machinery, it is without question one of the most complete ironworking plants in the Northwest. The entire plant is electrically driven, power being furnished by the Great Northern Power Company, and trackage facilities for the prompt shipment of its product are of the very best.
The principal product of this firm is steam logging machinery and steam and electric contractors’ hoisting machinery. Their line of logging machinery comprises both skidding and log-loading machines, and they are exclusive manufacturers of machinery under the Decker and McGiffert patents. The field covered by them embraces all of the United States, Canada, Mexico and Central America, and in this particular line they are, without question, the largest manufacturers in the world. In the line of contractors’ hoisting machinery, they are rapidly forging to the front, and the equipment manufactured by this company is in use in all of the principal points of the United States.
The company was organized in February, 1899, under the name of the Northwestern Manufacturing Company, with a capital stock of $25, 000, and at the beginning gave employment to nine hands. In 1901 it was reorganized as the Clyde Iron Works, and the capital stock was increased from time to time so that at present it amounts to $600, 000, and the company employs 30T) men.
The officers of the company are as follows: C. A. Luster, president and general manager; George C. Stone, vice-president; J. R. McGiffert, secretary and treasurer.