Excursion Boat S.S. Wayne

Excursion Boat Wayne. (Image: Zenith City Press)

Built in 1923 by the Great Lakes Engineering Works of River Rouge, Michigan, the Wayne didn’t get to Duluth until 1946, spending her first twenty-three years serving the Walkerville & Detroit Ferry Company running the Detroit River. Once in the Zenith City she was fitted with a large dance floor and ran moonlight rides on St. Louis Bay. By 1950 she was operating out of Toledo, and found her way to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, in 1952 for use as a yacht—but the deal fell through, and the Wayne was towed to Lockwood, Illinois, and partially dismantled. The last record of the Wayne is April 15, 1958— lying in the shipyards of New Orleans’ Bisso Ferry Company, which used it as a storehouse.