W. E. Fitzgerald

The William Fitzgerald. (Image: Zenith City Online)

It’s no misprint—this is not the Edmund Fitzgerald of Lake Superior lore. The first “Fitz” was named for William Edmund Fitzgerald, president of the Milwaukee Drydock Company and father of Edmund. Built by the Detroit Shipbuilding Company of Wyandotte, Michigan, the ship first hit the water in 1906. It was scrapped in Humberstone, Ontario, in 1972.