Built in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1894 by the Globe Shipbuilding Company, the North West was operated by the Northern Steamship Company out of Buffalo, New York. Her days as a passenger ship ended in 1911, when she was gutted by fire while in Buffalo. In 1918 she was cut in half, lengthened, and rerigged as a saltie. In 1920 she was renamed the Maplecourt. She met her fate in the North Atlantic in 1941, torpedoed by a German U-Boat. All thirty-seven hands were lost.