Archive Dive: Hayes Block

This week‘s trip to the archive takes us to the southwest corner of Superior Street and First Avenue East, where two different buildings—both called the Hayes block—have stood since 1870. The first was financed by Duluth parks visionary William K. Rogers and his pal, future US. president Rutherford B. Hayes. Read a history of the Hayes Block(s), excerpted from  from Duluth‘s Grand Old Architecture 1870–1940, here.

The Hayes Block ca. 1871, photographer unknown. [Image: UMD Martin Library]