Sneak Peek: The Panton /Sellwood House

The Panton/Sellwood house photographed ca. 1910 by Hugh McKenzie. [Image: UMD Martin Library]

This week’s sneak peek at our newest bookDuluth’s Grand Old Architecture 1870–1940 by Tony Dierckins and Maryanne C. Norton (coming summer 2022)—is the magnificent Neoclassical Style home Sophia and John Panton built at the northwest corner of Nineteenth Avenue East and Second Street in 1903, designed by renowned Minneapolis architects Cobourn & Kees. John Panton was the founder of Duluth’s Panton & Watson (later Panton & White) department store, which he sold to Frederick Patrick in 1911. Patrick renamed the store the Glass Block, which served downtown Duluth for another seven decades. Read our history of the 1903 Panton-Sellwood House from Duluth’s Grand Old Architecture here.

Leave a Comment