This Day in Duluth Archive

July 5, 1891: First professional baseball game at Duluth’s Recreation Park

On this day in Duluth in 1891, professional baseball returned to the Zenith City for the first time in four years. According to Duluth baseball historian Anthony Bush, liquor wholesaler Jay W. Anderson purchased half-ownership of the financially strapped St. Paul franchise of the Western Association and moved it to Duluth in the middle of…

July 4, 1870: Pioneer Jerome Cooley arrives in Duluth

On this day in Duluth in 1870, Jerome E. Cooley first arrived in the Zenith City. Cooley would go on to form the Lavaque-Cooley fisheries, which set up shop at roughly the same location as the back of the Paulucci Building in Canal Park. The business was later purchased by A. Booth & Co. This…

July 3, 1907: Gypsies set up camp in Duluth’s West End

On this day in Duluth in 1907, the Duluth News Tribune reported that a band of gypsies had set up camp in Duluth’s West End (aka Lincoln Park). “King Joe Smith and His Gypsies Are Here,” blared the News Tribune headline, which was followed by, “Romany Folk Camp on Hillside at West End and Make…

July 2, 1927: Grand opening of Enger Park Golf Course

On this day in Duluth in 1927, Enger Park Golf Course officially opened. The course was built on land donated to the city by West End furniture dealer Bert Enger following an effort by local businessmen led by J. B. Clinton, a well-known businessman, sportsman, and Exalted Ruler of the Duluth Elks. The Duluth Chamber…

July 1, 1947: Duluth Teachers College becomes UMD

On this day in Duluth in 1947, the Duluth State Teacher’s College became the Duluth Branch of the University of Minnesota System—today’s UMD. The facility first opened in 1902 as the Duluth State Normal School; that first year its enrollment was 100 students. In 1921, it became the Duluth State Teachers College, intended to to…

June 30, 1917: Duluthians get soaked before going dry

On this day in Duluth in 1917, Duluthians enjoyed their last legal dance with John Barleycorn while across the bay Superiorites prepared for his return. While national prohibition was still two years away, Duluth had voted on April 17 to go dry on July 1. Police captain Anthony Fiskett told the Duluth News Tribune that he…

June 29, 1983: Marjorie Congdon Caldwell settles with her children

On this day in Duluth in 1983, St. Louis County probate court approved a settlement between Marjorie Congdon Caldwell and her children over the approximately $8 million Congdon estate inheritance. After Caldwell had been acquitted of conspiring to kill her adoptive mother, Elisabeth Congdon, five of her children—Peter, Andy, Suzanne, Heather, and Rebecca—filed a civil…

June 28 , 1886: Mark Twain visits Duluth

On this day in Duluth in 1886, Mark Twain arrived on the steamer Empress of India from Buffalo, New York, accompanied by his daughters. He was on his way to visit his mother in Keokuk, Iowa. He stayed at the St. Louis Hotel, but evaded Duluth reporters. Only one story ran about his visit, with…

June 27, 1679: Daniel Greysolon Sieur du Luht lands at Onigamiinsing

On this day in 1679, Daniel Greysolon Sieur du Luht landed at Onigamiinsing or Little Portage, where today the Duluth Ship Canal cuts through Minnesota Point. He had left Quebec on September 1 with seven of his countrymen and three native guides on a historic quest to bring peace to the warring native peoples living…

June 26, 1928: President Coolidge first uses office at Superior Central High

On this day across the bay in 1928, President Calvin Coolidge used the desk in his new temporary office at Superior’s Central High School for the first time. The president was in Wisconsin for a lengthy summer vacation that mostly involved fishing along the Brule River. On that first day Coolidge worked for about two…