On this day across the bay in 1963, Fairlawn mansion was rededicated as the Douglas County Historical Society Museum. Fairlawn was built by lumber and mining executive Martin Pattison, three-time mayor of Superior, at 906 East Second Street in 1890. Superior purchased the estate $12,500. The following spring Douglas County Historical Society Curator James Lundsted oversaw the task of transforming Fairlawn into a museum to house the Society’s collection of artifacts. The building underwent a restoration in the 1990s, after which the historical society’s lease was not renewed. The organization eventually relocated in the historic Vasa Temple at John Avenue and Eleventh Street. Superior Public Museums now operates the house. Learn more about Fairlawn and its builder, Martin Pattison—aka Simeon Thayer—and find out why he changed his name before coming to Superior, here.
← June 5, 1889: Duluth’s volunteer fire department voluntarily disbandsJune 7, 1922: Architects unveil new plans for St. Louis County Jail →