On this day in Duluth in 1915, Pilgrim Congregational Church announced plans for new church building to be constructed at 2310 East Fourth Street. The church was established by Duluth pioneers, including Roger Munger, on January 18, 1871. A wood-frame church was built on the corner of Second Street and First Avenue East that same year and served until 1888 when the congregation built a Gothic structure at Lake Avenue and Second Street. The article mentioned that the new church and accompanying parish house would be designed by Duluth architect Frederick German “following New England models of colonial architecture.” The 1888 church was demolished before the new church was complete, and the congregation held services at Duluth’s Masonic Temple until they moved into their new home in 1917. The former lot was donated to the Y.M.C.A. for the Ward Ames Memorial building to house the Y’s Boys Department. That building became known as the Ames-Barnes Building for its financial benefactors, Ward Ames Jr. and his business partner Julius Barnes. Today that building is home to Minnesota Teen Challenge, which helps young adults struggling with drug and alcohol addiction. And the 1917 Pilgrim Congregational Church is still going strong.
← September 4, 1913: Aerial Bridge Out of CommissionSeptember 6, 1905: The steamer Superior arrives in Superior →