March 16, 1890: Writer Winifred Sanford is born in Duluth.

On this day in Duluth in 1890, writer Winifred Mahon was born to Harry and Helen Mahon. She grew up on the East Hillside and graduated Central High School in 1907 with another future writer, Margaret Culkin Banning. She married Duluthian Wayland Hall Sanford and they moved to Wichita Falls, Texas, to establish his law practice. According to biographer David Ouse, “Winifred had been writing fiction for a while, and in 1922 she joined a literary group, the Manuscript Club, in Wichita Falls. The members encouraged each other and critiqued one another’s works. In 1925, Winifred had her short story “Wreck” published in the American Mercury, and this began a long relationship by correspondence between Winifred and H. L. Mencken, editor of that journal, in which he encouraged her writing. Eventually she would publish eight more short stories in the American Mercury, and others in the Woman’s Home CompanionThe North American Review, and Household.… Following her death Winifred’s short story “Luck” was turned into the 1995 movie The Stars Fell on Henrietta, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Robert Duvall, Aidan Quinn, Frances Fisher, and Brian Dennehy. The script was written by Winifred’s grandson, Philip Railsback. Discover more Duluth writers in the Biography section of our History Archive, here.

Winifred Sanford. (Duluth Public Library)

February 28: “The Industries that Shaped the Twin Ports

Thanks to everyone who made it to Glensheen last night to find out how Chester Congdon made the money that financed his remarkable Duluth estate. Next week we’re going to explain how pioneer industries shaped Duluth and Superior. Both sides of the St. Louis River between Duluth and Superior were once lined with ore docks, coal docks, lumber mills, flour…


Two Harbors’ Presbyterian Church

Found just across the street from the Lake County Courthouse at 531 Third Avenue, Two Harbors’ First Presbyterian Church has stood since 1906. The original 1887 church (pastured by the Reverend J. N. Johnstone) was a simple frame structure, but its congregation’s rapid growth made the building obsolete by 1900. Church leaders, including the pastor,…

Click to Continue